Wednesday 2 January 2013

Nokia Lumia 920 and WP8...Good News, Bad News

Well it has been quite a while since I've posted anything on this blog.  My bad.  Then a couple of months ago I upgraded to the new Nokia Lumia 920 and felt I had something worth blogging about.  Just as I sat down to compose a glowing review of Nokia/Microsoft's latest offering my 920 bricked.  Soft reset, hard reset - didn't matter, my 920 turned into a sexy paperweight.

After a quick call to Phones4U tech support and a visit to my local shop I had a brand new 920.  While I may have a certain tolerance for these types of hiccups, the general public does not.  In this situation it was clearly a software/OS issue.  The buttons and screen became non-responsive, but if I removed my SIM card the phone came back to life.  Unfortunately there was nothing I could do to resurrect my 920.

Since then I have not had any issues with my replacement.  In fact, I couldn't be happier.  It is a solid quality product from Nokia.  The battery life is impressive, on average I can go for a day and a half without charging - with WiFi enabled.

Windows Phone 8 is fast and fluid and is a perfect marriage with the 920.  The colours and sharpness of the screen is stunning. And the dual core processor is ample to bring about a thoroughly enjoyable WP experience.

All-in-all, I'm quite happy with the 920 and WP8.  I would not go back to the Lumia 800 and WP7.5, not that there was anything particularly wrong with it, it's just that the 920 is so much better all round.
If you recently purchased a 920 you can receive a free wireless charger from Nokia, just go to http://nokiafreecharger.com and fill out the form.  I've had mine for a couple weeks now and love it.

Update 25 Jan - My 920 is still going strong.  I have had two or three incidents where the OS locked up while running an app, forcing me to do a soft reset.  Battery life is still outstanding.  I've dropped the phone a couple of times, but no harm done.  I recently noticed a small scratch on my screen which is annoying.  I have no idea how that happened.  The wireless charging is fantastic.  Next step is to get some NFC tags...

No comments: